maandag 12 april 2010

TWD: Swedish Visiting Cake + Foodie Exchange


This week the lovely Nancy of The Dogs Eat the Crumbs got to pick the recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie and she did a good job! She decided on the Swedish Visiting Cake that can be found on page 197 of Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan or here at Nancy's blog.



A Google search for Swedish Cake soon came up with Toscakaka, also spelled as Tosca Kaka, which basically is a lemon sponge topped with crunchy almonds. Sound familiar? It looks familiar too, except that the layer of crunchy almonds is thicker than Dorie's. Could this have been Dorie's inspiration for the Swedish Visiting Cake? I might give this recipe or this one a try one of these days as it looks really tempting!


Anyways, I baked this on Easter Monday, which is national holiday here in The Netherlands, expecting no visitors and thought this would be another great cake to bring into work with me on Tuesday. It was very easy to put together, I was done in no time and I made it exactly as written: no changes this week! I was quite surprised when the doorbell rang shortly after I put the cake into the oven: it was my mom who had decided to take her dog out on a walk and visit me because the weather was so nice.





As soon as she walked into the door, she asked me what that lovely smell was. I told her to be patient as she could have a taste of the Swedish Visiting Cake when it was done. She loved it and took two pieces home with her (for my dad and herself of course!). So I only had 3/4 of a cake left for about 20 coworkers and not enough stock in my pantry to bake another one. My colleagues were a bit disappointed that they only got slivers of cake, because they loved it, as did I!! Thanks for a wonderful choice Nancy!


On another note, I have registered at Foodie Exchange for my 101 in 1001 challenge. So I've started my second goal on the list, #2: Take part in 5 Foodie Exchange. Basically what Foodie Exchange is is a group for foodies from around the planet who wish to exchange their local food specialties as a care package with other foodies. The items in the care package should be limited to about $10.00 in cost, shipping is extra. Each month you can sign up on the monthly exchange thread in the forum where members match themselves up with partners. When you received the package you can share the story by adding you blog post to the Blog Posts section.


I have started several goals, such as signing up for a two-day assertivity training (#90) that will take place in August and starting a new skin care routine (#18), which I will tell you about late this week. I already completed one goal: #80 Register as an organ donor


33 opmerkingen:

Jules Someone zei

What timing! Glad the cake was so enjoyed. We loved it here!

TeaLady zei

This was a really good cake. And super easy. I like that you made yours in a tart pan. Gave it a beautiful look.

Pamela zei

Good luck on achieving the goals you have set for yourself! Your cake looks wonderful!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella zei

That looks like such a lovely cake! I like the flaked almonds on the top too :)

Mary zei

I can't believe you still had three quarters of the cake to take to work with you! I thought it was delicious and ate quite a bit myself! I enjoyed reading your list, and I joined the Foodie Exchange yesterday too!

alvarosa zei

What a nice coincidence that your mother came visiting while you made the visiting cake!

I am a big fan of any kind of lists, so your 101-list is inspiring me!(And the food exchange sounds great! I guess I heard of it before but forgot it again...)

chocolatechic zei

Beautiful cake pan, and your cake is lovely too.

The Food Librarian zei

So pretty! I can just smell it! - mary

Nancy/n.o.e zei

Ha! Maybe your cake brought the visitor!! I'm glad that your cake was such a big hit with everyone. I love the way it looks in that fluted pan. Good job on the Google search; now I'm intrigued by the other recipes too. Your 101 project is cool; I'll bet it was interesting to come up with that many goals. You're making great progress!

Thanks for baking along with me this week.

CB zei

Your cake looks so purdy in the pie pan. I think I'll have to do that next time I bake the full recipe. It was a mistake to bake only 1/2 the recipe this time. I'm craving another piece right now! Glad you, mom and coworkers enjoyed the cake.
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

Jeannette zei

Looks like your cake came in quite handy after all! It looks great! Plus you can always assure the coworkers that you can make another one. Or urge them to try it on their own and bring it in ;)

Hindy zei

How lovely that you had a visitor to share the cake with! Glad it was enjoyed.

Charli zei

It's wonderful when things just work out that way! I'm glad your lovely cake got to have a visitor!

Flourchild zei

Your cake looks fantastic and what a perfect way to eat it on a Holiday! Im glad your family enjoyed it too. I loved the topping and the wonderful lemon/almond flavor. I followed the recipe exactly too.

Leslie zei

How funny that your mom showed up after you put your cake in the oven! I love how beautiful it is in the tart pan...I'm stealing that idea for sure!

Isabelle zei

Your cake looks lovely!

April zei

Sharing baked good is the best!

Susan zei

Your cake looks so delicious! This was such a winner. :)

Chats the Comfy Cook zei

Beautiful cake, Marthe, as usual.

Erin zei

I shared my cake with my mom, too! I love your fluted baking dish. What a pretty presentation.

margot zei

Your cake looks so pretty! What a wonderful coincidence that your mom showed up when you were making this cake. I'm sure your co-workers would be delighted if you tried on of the other recipes you found.

Ellie zei

Your cake came out wonderfully. I feel bad for your coworkers who missed out, I do the same thing - it helps cut down on the calories my husband and I consume at home - trust me, there are already plenty.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart zei

What a delight to stop by your blog and visit with you! You have a great place here and your visiting cake looks terrific!

Kindly, ldh

Nickki zei

Your cake looks beautiful! Stunning pictures as always. We loved this cake as well :-)

marla {family fresh cooking} zei

Your Swedish Visiting Cake looks wonderful! You are so lucky that your mom lives close enough to just stop by...mine is 3000 miles away in NY. Good thing you had more ingredients to bake another cake!

Amanda zei

Glad you loved it too! i thought it was delish!

natalia zei

Dearest Marthe I'm sure your colleagues are the happiest in the Netherlands !!

Anoniem zei

How perfect - Swedish Visiting Cake right out of the oven for your visiting mom! =)
Your cake looks really pretty in the dish!

mike zei

What a beautiful cake - I love your pan that you used - it's wonderful! I also love the Kaka cake above.... wow - I'm off to read about that! Nicely done!

Liz zei

How perfect that you had a visitor to share your visiting cake with! It looks lovely, so glad you enjoyed it.

Lynne Daley zei

Your mom dropped in at a perfect time-she probably smelled the cake from a mile away-it's so fragrant. Both your cakes look delicious-the baking powder version looks more like a regular cake and the Dorie version looks like a tart.

Jaime zei

lovely cake! love the pan too

Unknown zei

I can't believe your cake made it to work! It's beautiful - and so delicious.