vrijdag 9 april 2010

Taste & Create: Ukranian Honey Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Buttercream


This post is well overdue, it was supposed to go up before March 24 but I totally forgot about it... Luckily Min from The Bad Girl's Kitchen was so kind to send me a reminder through email. This month I was paired with tittilating eatables, she only started blogging in February 2010 but the stuff you see on her blog is amazing!! I decided on adapting her Ukranian Honey Cake by turning it into cupcakes and topping it with Dulce de Leche Buttercream. So here´s my late entry for March´s Taste & Create: Ukranian Honey Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Buttercream.



Before I tell you all about these cupcakes, let me tell you a bit more about Taste & Create. Basically Taste & Create is a cultural exchange program for bloggers, you sign up monthly and are paired with another blogger. You look around at their blog, find that one recipe (or more if you like) that you want to recreate and post the about it. You also submit a picture and a very short review to the T&C website.



So basically what I did is make the recipe I found at tittilating eatables and divided it over cupcake liners. I then baked the cupcakes for about 18 - 20 minutes and let them cool afterwards. To make them extra special I topped them with some Dulce de Leche Buttercream. Go here to check out the recipe I used for the cupcakes: Ukranian Honey Cake.


Dulce de Leche Buttercream
Adapted from Joy the Baker

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
3 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 cup dulce de leche

Cream together softened butter and powdered sugar on low using an electric mixer. Add cream, salt, and vanilla and beat on medium speed until smooth and no lumps appear. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the prepared dulce de leche and beat to incorporate. Frost cooled cupcakes using a knife or a pastry bag and tip.



7 opmerkingen:

Jennifer zei

I had never had Dulce de Leche until we made the Duos a few weeks ago with TWD. I love it! And that buttercream looks amazing!

sarah zei

Thanks for explaining Taste & Create! I have been curious about all these different things you participate in, but have been too lazy to check out the sites.

Barbara Bakes zei

Sounds like a great combination of flavors! I'm headed over to check out the honey cake.

Liliana zei

Love your cupcakes! The Taste & Create sounds like a great idea.

Are you ready for a Foodie Exchange?

Marthe zei

@Jennifer: This was my first time for tasting Dulce de Leche too! I had quite a bit left, that's why I made this buttercream and the previously posted DLL Coffee.

@sarah: it's quite a fun event. You sign up month by month before the 8th of that month, so when you don't feel like playing you just don't sign up for that month!

@Barbara: my dad took these to a run-clinic, they were devoured!!

@Liliana: I'm superready for a Foodie Exchange, signed up and everything!!

threesidesofcrazy zei

What a gorgeous cupcake - great flavor combo!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella zei

Yum! Honey cupcakes with DDL buttercream sounds like a little bite of heaven! :D