donderdag 22 januari 2009

Scorzonera (Vitatas #1)


One of the veggies in my first Vitatas were these strange looking sticks. At least, that's what they look like: branches.... But in fact they are not branches, they are the roots of Scorzonera hispanica, also known as black salsify, Spanish salsify, black oyster plant, serpent root, viper's herb or viper's grass. (source: Wikipedia)

Here in Holland they are known as schorseneren, in nineteenth century Holland they were called 'winter asparagus' because they were only available from October to March and once peeled and cooked they look a lot like asparagus.

I used this recipe from Coquinaria, it was very tasty!! Just as I finished my last piece of scorzonera I remembered I forgot to take pictures.... OOPS!! Hahaha

1 opmerking:

Kristin zei

They look *exactly* like sticks!! You need an "after" picture of what they looked like before you ate them! Good for you for finding a delicious way to prepare them.