woensdag 1 juli 2009

Taste & Create XX: Red Enchiladas with Cheese and Strawberry Cupcakes Cooking Light Style!

I feel soooo ashamed.... I'm actually writing this post one week too late.... A couple of weeks ago, while vacationing in Canada, I was so excited to find out that I was paired with Shelby of The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch for this months Taste and Create.

Instantly I knew what I wanted to make, I had two recipes in mind and all the ingredients at hand too! So I knew I would be baking and cooking them as soon as I came home. Well, that didn't happen.... I actually needed an email from Min to remind me... So I cooked and baked the recipes I picked today.



I added some corn to the enchiladas instead of the chicken, simply because I didn´t feel like eating meat today. Other than that the only thing I did was half the recipe so I would end up with 6 tortillas, I figured that would make 3 portions for me, but since I was so hungry today I ate three enchiladas: three more left for dinner tomorrow!! These are amazing, thanks to the chili pepper they had a really nice kick to them, I will definetely be making these again!



As for the strawberry cupcakes: I made the entire recipe and ended up with 48 cupcakes, mine were a bit smaller than Shelby's. These were made in preparation for my birthday, so they won't be frosted untill late saturday evening: just in time for the Tea Party on Sunday. But even without the frosting these taste soooo good, and they're light too!

Be sure to hop on over to The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch, as she has lots of wonderful recipes posted on her blog and a lot of them are light and therefore really healthy! Go here to check out what the other made for Taste & Create XX.


Red Enchiladas with Cheese


1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tomatoes, chopped (I used 5 because they were a little small)
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/16 teaspoon pepper
6 corn or flour tortillas (I used flour ones)
1 1/2 cups shreeded cheese
sour cream
Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in a skillet over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 1 hour.
Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides (this is what will make the edges nice and crispy!). Spoon 2 tablespoons cheese onto each tortilla. (this is where I also put some corn in the center). Roll tortilla around filling. Place seam sides down in ungreased rectangular baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream.


Strawberry Cupcakes Cooking Light


Cake
1-1/4 cups sliced strawberries
10 ounce all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 cup low-fat buttermilk (I used regular buttermilk, couldn't find low-fat)
1/4 teaspoon red food coloring (I used burgundy which made the cupcakes a real bright hot pink)
Frosting
1/3 cup (3 ounces) less-fat cream cheese
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, orange-flavored liqueur (I will use raspberry-flavoured liqueur)
3 cups powdered sugar
12 whole strawberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cake, place sliced strawberries in a food processor; process until smooth.

Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in egg whites. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add pureed strawberries and food coloring; beat just until blended.

Divide batter between 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray. (I used paper lined cupcake pans and made 48 cupcakes). Bake at 350° for 30 minutes (20 minutes for cupcakes) or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

To prepare frosting place cream cheese, 1/3 cup butter, and liqueur in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, and beat just until blended.

Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Cut 1 whole strawberry into thin slices, cutting to, but not through, the stem end. Fan strawberry on top of cake just before serving, if desired. Cut remaining 11 strawberries in half. Garnish cake with strawberry halves, if desired.




4 opmerkingen:

Shelby zei

Marthe! I'm so excited at what you made! The Red Enchiladas with Cheese is one of my children's (and ex husband's) favorite dishes! I'm happy your cupcakes turned out also! :-)

Steph zei

Your cupcakes are so cute! Strawberry cupcakes are hard to make. I now have a bunch of recipes I want to try.

Steph zei

I almost forgot, Happy Birthday!

Isabelle zei

Your empenadas looks soo yummy! And your mini cupcakes are adorable! I am looking for a good recipe for years, I'll try your recipe.

And Happy Birthay!