vrijdag 11 december 2009

Snickerdoodles: Day 3 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies

Welcome to day three of my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies!! The star of today's post is the amazing Snickerdoodle!!!!
My mom asked me why these cookies had such a seedy name: 'snikkel-doodles'..... You see 'snikkel' is Dutch slang for penis.... I quickly made sure she knew the right name!!

About two years ago I made these for the first (and only) time, I loved how simple it was to make these cookies and how wonderful they tasted and smelled. This was probably because of the cinnamon as my two most favourite smells are vanilla and cinnamon!
This time I used the recipe that I found over at eat me, delicious., the original recipe is by Martha Stewart.


Again, another cookie that is very quick and easy to make! As I love my cinnamon I made two batches of the 'topping'. It tastes great, nice and fluffy and cinnamonny!! This recipe is supposed to make 20 cookies, 40 when you make very small balls. I used my small icecream scoop and got 56 Snickerdoodles out of this recipe, after baking they had a diameter of 6 cm....






Snickerdoodles (as adapted from eat me, delicious)

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (I always use salted butter as it is way cheaper than unsalted butter.... I haven't tasted a huge difference so far!)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs

2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
(I had to double this sugar and cinnamon because I had so many cookies!!)

  • Preheat the oven at 35o F.
  • Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  • Put butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a bowl and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
  • Mix in eggs.
  • Reduce speed to low; graually mix in flour mixture.
  • Stir together cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl (I doubled the amounts for this step).
  • Shape dough into 20 (1 3/4 inch) balls; roll in cinnamon sugar (I simply scooped and dropped the scoops in the cinnamon sugar, then rolled them around).
  • Space 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  • Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes (12 minutes were perfect for mine!).

Geen opmerkingen: