donderdag 16 april 2009

CEiMB: Lamb Stew with Orange

It's already Thursday again! Time flies when yoy're having fan and boy have I been having fun the last couple of days!! First of all I had an extra day of work because of Easter, second of all we've been having great weather since just before Easter: degrees were up in the twenties (I'm talking Celsius here guys!!). Last year we had snow at Easter!!! Third of all I had a lovely day off yesterday with 23 degrees Celsius and was typing this post with my laptop actually on my lap while enjoying the sun and trying to get a bit of colour on me.


Ow and last but not least: it's Secretaressedag today here in Holland!! Secretaressedag was first introduced in the United States in 1952 to recognize the work of secretaries, administrative assistants, receptionists, and other administrative support professionals. It is held anually on the Wednesday of the last full week of April, it's better know as Administrative Professionals' Day over in the U.S.A.

Flowers for Ms. Pieters!! ~ Put them on my desk!!

Here in The Netherlands it was introduced on the 20th of April 1989, when I was still in primary school and is held on the third Thursday of April. The company I am currently detached to treats all their secretaries to a really nice dinner every year, so guess what I'm doing tonight.....
No, not that!!!! ( I know, a dirty mind is a joy for ever!!)



But let's get back to the reason why I'm writing this post: it's Thursday again and so it's time for another great recipe of Ellie Krieger. Farah of Confessions of a Novice Baker picked a wonderful recipe for us this week: Lamb Stew with Orange. This would be a first for me: I had never cooked with lamb before. As soon as I went looking for lamb in my well-stocked supermarket I knew I was in trouble: the lamb looked soooo fat and I don't do fatty meats, it was also terribly expensive: 250 grams were about six euros!!



I decided to pay the local turkish butcher a visit, over there I got 250 grams of lamb for only 270 grams, it was lean and he also cut it into pieces for me. I'll be visiting that butcher more often, as I also bought a piece of veal and some ground beef and aonly spent about 5 euros!!!




The stew was easily prepared and left on the stow to stew for about 90 minutes while I went on to create other great recipes, such as previously posted Amaretti Chocolate Torte for TWD and some really tasty Quintuple Chocolate Brownies for my dad.






The stew was served with some mashed potatoes and shared with my dad an boy did we enjoy it!! It was absolutely cooked to perfection and I loved the combination of the somewhat sweet orange with the lamb. This one's a keeper!
I halved the recipe and had 3 portion: 6,5 WW Points per serving!





Farah thank you so much for picking this recipe, I really enjoyed it (and so did my dad)! Check out what my fellow Elie-istas thought about this weeks recipe over at CEiMB, here you will also find information on how to join this great group. Up next week is my pick:
Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach and Couscous!!

12 opmerkingen:

Craving Ellie in My Belly zei

It looks fantastic! So glad you enjoyed it and that you found some lamb you were happy with. Mashed potatoes was also a super idea.

Anoniem zei

I am making this for dinner tonight with a few small modifications but it's smelling great right now. Glad to hear that it turned out well for you, and I look forward to next week's recipe:)

Marie Rayner zei

That stew looks lovely Marthe! I hate fatty meat myself. Lean is so much better and better for you!

Steph zei

I'm glad you've been having such a great time lately..i can't say the same for me..haha. The stew looks good!

Anoniem zei

Looks great! We like it as well.

Pamela zei

Yum! It looks fabulous. I love the potatoes in the center of the dish. Very nice.

Jessica zei

I'm so glad that you were able to find the meat at a good price. I was really worried about how expensive this meal would be, too. Enjoy the nice weather and happy Secretaries Day!

MacDuff zei

LOVE this! And thank you for the calorie info...always need to remember that!

farah zei

Marthe i am so glad you and your Dad enjoyed it! Good for you for finding a great and inexpensive butcher (a hard find these days!).
It looks delicious :)

Unknown zei

Way to not just accept the price and quality of what you were looking for at the super market.

If more people did that there would be a great deal more boutique suppliers and better quality and service for all!

--Nick

Anoniem zei

Your stew looks fantastic. Love the potatoes with it.

Leslie zei

What a good looking stew! I'm really looking forward to your pick next week.