This month I was paired with Chaya of Sweet and Savoury Says it All for Taste and Create.
Chaya's blog is filled with delicious recipes. I wanted to surprise my coworkers with something sweet and was torn between the Snickerdoodle Cookie Bars, the Apple Streusel Topped Muffin and the Chocolate Butterscotch Bars.
Since it was that time of the month the choice was quickly made and Chocolate Butterscotch Bars it was. But then I found out that I hadn't brought home butterscotch chips from my trip to Canada but peanutbutter chips, so I subbed them. The other thing I changed was using butter instead of margarine and I left out the mocha extract. Yummy! This was gone in no time!!
Chocolate Peanutbutter Bars
1 1/8 cup all-purpouse flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup peanutbutter chips (I used 3/4 cup peanutbutter chips and 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips because I ran out of peanutbutter chips...)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl beat the sugar, butter and vanilla until creamy
- Beat in egg
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture
- Stir in 1 1/4 cups of chocolate chips and all of the nuts
- Spread into prepared pan
- Bake 20 - 23 minutes
- Remove pan to wire rack
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips
- Let stand for 5 minutes or until morsels are shiny; spread evenly
- Cool in pan on wire rack
- Refrigerate 5 - 10 minutes or until chocolate is set.